Thursday, May 7, 2009

24 Things to be Proud of!

Tomorrow is my 24 birthday and I can't help but wonder "what the heck happened to 23?" Its so weird after spending most of 22 pregnant and it being one of the SLOWEST years of my life to have 23 fly by so quickly! It makes me wonder if the rest of my life will go by as quickly as this past year? At 24 I wouldn't say I have accomplished a lot of things but I think its important to recognize the few things I have, no matter how big or small they are.

24 of my life's accomplishments!

1. I survived a moving to Houston, which was one of the biggest culture shocks of my life. Even still I had some of the best times of my youth in Houston and it will always always be a special place to me.

2. I survived the "teenage years" and loved them. I LOVED High school probably more than most but even though some of my favorite things happened in high school my home life was really crappy at times. Me and my dad and a tough relationship and I remember feeling like that would never end. Thankfully it has and I'm a better person for it.

3. I decided by16 what I wanted to do after high school and was accepted into the Cosmetology program. I had my License right after my 18 birthday and passed the (8 hour) exams the first time which apparently doesn't happen that often.

4. I married a wonderful returned missionary in the House of the Lord at 19 and started a great life with my night in shining armor!

5. I started, what I consider a successful career, as a Hair Stylist at 19 and in my first big salon moved from Jr. Stylist to Sr. Stylist in 3 months, breaking the record for my salons location (and making way more money!)

6. I bought my first house with my husband at 20 and lived there happily for 2 and half years!

7. I endured a lot pain and heartbreak from not one but two difficult miscarriages. Not only that but when I look back at those difficult experiences I feel proud of the growth and strength that I was determined to get out of them.

8. I survived 2 and half years away from my family. During those 2 and half years Cameron and I learned to relay on each other. We celebrated some amazing miracles and embraced some overwhelming trials together, away from the strength of family.

9. I grew a healthy baby! Enough said.

10. I delivered a healthy baby, again.. enough said!

11. After almost 2 years of lots of tears and stress fighting with our mortgage company, who took advantage of us and put us in a loan that along with many other Americans, destroyed our economy, we stuck in there and will be able to say (in about 3 weeks) that we sold our house, instead of giving up!

12. I packed up all my things, took a huge risk and moved to Utah.... with a 10 week old!!

13. (now its getting tough to come up with anymore so they might get a little cheesy) I've kept a pretty steady Journal since I was 8 years old!

14. I served in many numerous callings for our church and never turned one down.

15. I've never ever in my life tried any drug!

16. I paid off my first car!

17. I've been (I think anyway) a loyal friend. I've never walked away from a friend. I have and would do anything for my friends (even though some of them didn't do the same for me.)

18. I always apologize. No matter how hard it might be sometimes, no matter who it is, I will say I'm sorry and to the best of my knowledge I've righten every wrong that I've ever been a part of.

19. I've made lots of people laugh! Even if its at my own expense!

20. Its hard to think of very many times when I haven't said my prayers. I made a good habit of that when I was really young and its stayed with me.

22. I've developed a personal relationship with my Savior. I'll admit that there have been times when my efforts weren't what they should be but I will ALWAYS come back.

23. I've taken as many opportunities that have been given to me to Share the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I've taken some low blows for being a member Of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints but I have never and will never be ashamed no matter how much the world tells me I should. I don't know if I ever made an impact on anyone but I've always tried.

24. I'm a wife and a Mother! I know I kinda already mentioned those but they are worth mentioning twice!

6 comments:

Alisa and Sky said...

You should be very proud of yourself! You have accomplished the most important things in life in just 24 years! You are way ahaead of many people in this world and I am so proud of you! You have always been a great friend to me and I think very very highly of you! You have always been a good example to me! I think you are an awesome wife and mother and Jake and Cameron are the luckiest boys in the world to have you in their lifes! I love you!

Happy Birthday a day early...I wish I could be there to help you celebrate!!

P.S. I am going to my friends wedding in Draper..its on Friday, June 5th. Will you be in town then?

eden and david said...

that is such and awesome post. i can attest to so many of your accomplishments. you are such an awesome person and i hope that we can see each other soon. happy happy 24th birthday!!!

Cinda said...

Happy Birthday tomorrow!

Love Sweet Love said...

Happy 24th Bday, I loved your list! Anytime you're feeling down about yourself you can just look back to this list and remember YOU ARE AMAZING!

Matt and Haley said...

Happy Birthday! This was such a cute idea for a post to talk about all you've accomplished thus far. You've done some amazing stuff.

Mindy said...

Ellen,

You really are amazing. I didn't know you all that long and I can see how amazing you are and all the important accomplishments you've achieved thus far. I hope you had a great birthday, sorry for the belated wishes. Camron and Jake really are lucky. =]